Sunday, 22 November 2009

Why Play the Guitar?

There really are so many possible reasons to play the guitar I couldn't possibly list them all. I used to listen to heavy metal and I started playing so I could start a band. Some people start playing just to relax after work. Sometimes teenagers learn to play to start a band and become famous or to impress chicks. There are infinite reasons why one would play the guitar.
After playing the guitar for a while, those who find it too hard or don't practice enough tend to slow down and eventually stop playing all together. They will move on to something else and hopefully they find something for themselves as rewarding as playing an instrument. Those who stick with it are starting to hear and feel things they never knew existed before. Such as the way picking one note can vibrate another string you haven't touched. Or the subtle sound of fingers sliding or scraping over the strings as the notes flow from one to another.
After a while the music you listen to sounds more rich and you notice things in songs you never heard before. Some songs you never thought were very good start becoming your favorites. You realize how most pop music is just the same song sang in infinite ways. You hear how happy chords can sound sad and how one note played at just the right time can be the most beautiful sound you could hear.
Music For You Has Changed Forever.
Now when you play songs, you don't even have to think about your fingers. You just feel it. You understand the language of music and how powerful it is.
This is why I play the guitar.
Why do you want to learn?
Private guitar instruction is the best way to go but it can be expensive and the quality of the instructors varies greatly. For those who live in small towns there may not be any. If you can't take lessons from me or another good guitar instructor, I suggest that you try one of these guitar systems. Here are my top recommendations for beginners and intermediate level players.
Beginners Start Here
Master Guitar Scales

No comments:

Post a Comment